NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Outreach Coordinator
About The Common Market:
The Common Market Mid-Atlantic, a mission-driven distributor of local foods to the Mid-Atlantic region, seeks a Customer Outreach Coordinator for the DC suburbs. Our mission is to strengthen regional farms while making the local bounty accessible to communities and the schools, universities, hospitals, restaurants, and retailers that serve them.
We are looking for an individual who is highly motivated, results-driven and passionate about sustainable food, in addition to having the professionalism and experience to succeed in a demanding role that is critical to the success of the organization. The new Outreach Coordinator will be responsible for developing relationships with customers and partners to meet sales targets.
This position requires an extremely organized individual who is able to work independently with a sense of urgency and great attention to detail – someone who is flexible, collaborative, and possesses excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
Our team is spread across the Mid-Atlantic with headquarters in Philadelphia and a small warehouse in Jessup, MD, so comfort working remotely and communicating effectively with all team members across virtual platforms is a must. Travel and stay in Philadelphia will be required for an initial 2-week training period, then weekly visits for the first several months.
- Works closely with the DMV Regional Manager and the rest of the outreach team in Philadelphia and New York to develop and execute our sales strategy
- Establishes, develops, and fosters quality relationships with potential customers. Is responsible for customer development in the following counties: Montgomery, Prince George’s, Anne Arundel, and Fairfax
- Takes responsibility for different groups of customers which may include Public Schools, Hospitals, Universities, Private Schools, Restaurants and/or Retailers, depending on experience
- Executes dedicated outreach for The Common Market Farm Share program, setting targets for new sites in the DMV
- Networks with current customers, trade groups, and institutional partners to identify potential customers; schedules meetings and follows through to support and engage new leads ensuring clear progress through the customer
- Educates and advises potential customers on the benefits of incorporating food from local sustainable farms as part of a food service operation
- Defines needs/expectations and works collaboratively with Common Market staff to find solutions to customers’ needs
- Ensures proactive approach to maintain positive customer relations through ongoing communication; Coordinates with Common Market procurement, operations, trucking, finance, IT, and communications staff to resolve customer
- Regularly collects data and feedback, evaluates and makes suggestions about how to improve/adapt to ensure an excellent customer experience
- Knowledge of institutional food service and procurement, food policy and/or farm to school
- Strong preference for someone with experience in customer outreach, sales, and relationship management
- Existing relationships in the DMV region
- Valid driver’s license; this position requires frequent travel throughout the MD and DC suburbs
- Candidate must live in the DMV region or be willing to relocate
- Experience working with diverse communities and/or demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills (Word and Excel)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
Compensation and Benefits:
- Pay commensurate with experience (starting at $40,000)
- 2 weeks annual PTO
- Monthly health insurance stipend
- The Common Market Farm Share - Fruit & Vegetable Share
- SIMPLE IRA retirement plan
About the job
|Date||04 February 2019|