NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Associate Audience Engagement Editor
About: we’re looking for a highly creative and spirited engagement editor to join the New Food Economy’s award-winning nonprofit newsroom. You’re a bold thinker who’s willing to do whatever it takes to connect with readers—finding new, innovative ways to promote our award-winning content, while engaging in dialogue on Twitter and beyond. The right candidate will be a born storyteller with well-honed journalistic instincts, who understands how to balance thoughtful, well-crafted reporting with the needs of a fast-paced digital newsroom.
This is a huge opportunity for the right fit: You’ll be working with our creative agency to help launch and promote a newly redesigned brand and website (Fall 2019), while establishing best practices for the future. We are a dynamic team in the midst of a key expansion; for the launch and beyond, we’re looking for a strategic player ready to grow as we do.
We’re looking for someone with razor-sharp storytelling instincts who’s comfortable crafting engaging narratives across a variety of formats, using the native strengths of each platform to help drive engagement. Your job duties are not static; one day you may be helping promote an NFE panel discussion on the future of meat, while the next you’re coming up with a savvy contest that engages readers in new ways. We’ll also want you to use analytics to help guide coverage, looking for key opportunities to grow our audience and expand our reach.
You’ll have a mind for strategy, and will work closely with our editorial producer to refine, grow, and manage our newsletter, while producing voicey, on-brand copy for events, social, donor campaigns, and series.
- With editorial team, work to package and promote a broad range of New Food Economy content, including features, series, breaking news, special projects, and events.
- Write and schedule content for all social channels (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram) using both native platform publishing as well as third-party tools like Sprout.
- Report and track growth using metrics from social media, newsletter dashboards, Apple News, and Google Analytics, using insights to identify new opportunities for growth.
- With edit team, create and implement strategies to grow newsletter subscriptions and increase engagement.
- With editors, develop original stories for website and social with audience engagement in mind.
- Monitor digital/social pages of market competition.
- Provide coaching to staff about best practices on digital/social platforms.
- Assist with the rollout and promotion of The New Food Economy’s brand redesign and website relaunch (fall 2019).
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- At least two years of full-time editorial experience at a digital publication.
- Desire to learn more about nonprofit media and our model.
- Basic Photoshop, HTML, and Google Analytics experience. Experience with SocialFlow, Sprout, or Buffer a plus.
- Some experience with paid social, including Facebook for Business and Google AdWords
- Experience using newsletter platforms, especially MailChimp.
- Strong writing ability, with a knack for summarizing stories quickly, accurately, and in a compelling voice.
- Strong editorial judgment.
- High emotional intelligence.
- A desire to innovate, problem-solve, and launch new initiatives.
- Enthusiasm for reaching new audiences.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- A sense of humor.
Applications will be accepted until midnight on Friday, August 30. 2019. Send a short cover letter, CV, and any writing or work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, indicate the position you’re interested in.
About the job
|Location||New York, New York|
|Date||16 August 2019|