NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Social Science Specialist
NIFA is a premier Federal partner in finding innovative and transformative solutions to critical food and agriculture problems across the nation. We are looking for science professionals to serve as NPL and administer our research, education, and extension programs that address national agricultural priorities.
- Leads research, education, and extension programs in food and agriculture including:
- -> Plant production and protection, including agronomy, horticulture, entomology, plant pathology, IPM, weed science, and forestry;
- -> Animal production and health, including aquaculture, livestock agriculture, and poultry science;
- -> Food Science and Human nutrition, including food safety, food technology, and nutritional education;
- -> Natural Resources and Environment;
- -> Agricultural Engineering, including data science and biological engineering;
- -> Agricultural Economics and Social Sciences, including rural communities and development;
- -> Agricultural Education and Workforce Development, including role of Minority-serving institutions ;
- -> Agro-security, including protection of food supply ;
- -> Human sciences;
- -> Agricultural products and industrial innovation including small business innovation;
- -> Sustainable agriculture;
- -> Positive Youth Development and 4H; and
- -> Biotechnology and its environmental and social implications
- Initiate, network and collaborate with partners and stakeholders to identify mission-relevant problems, opportunities and issues requiring Federal attention.
- Conceive, formulate, and execute programs and activities to respond to existing or emerging problems, opportunities, priorities and issues for development.
- Apply science-based knowledge to evaluate policy and develop and implement programs in collaboration with universities and other partners;
- Evaluate and assess the quality, outcomes and impacts of these programs.
- Promotes the research, education and extension portfolio to advance the strategic goals and management objectives of NIFA and the administration.
- Actively engages in multi-Institute trans-disciplinary teams to address mission critical priorities.
- behavioral or social science; or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
- Combination of education and experience that provided the applicant with knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major in the field.
- Four years of appropriate experience that demonstrated that the applicant has acquired knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major in the field.
- 1-2 years experience in social science related disciplines or research and/or 1-2 year experience in food and agriculture-related discplines
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
How to apply:
Please read the entire announcement and all instructions before you begin. You must complete this application process and submit all required documents electronically by 11:59p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of this announcement.
Applying online is highly encouraged. We are available to assist you during business hours (normally 8:00a.m. - 4:00p.m., Monday - Friday). If applying online poses a hardship, contact the Agency Contact listed below well before the closing date for an alternate method. All hardship application packages must be complete and submitted no later than noon ET on the closing date of the announcement in order to be entered into the system prior to its closing.
This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis; contact the Agency Contact to request this.
About the job
|Location||Kansas City, MO|
|Date||10 September 2019|