NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Food Access Program Coordinator
About Fresh Approach
The mission of Fresh Approach is to create long-term change in local food systems by connecting California communities with healthy food from California farmers and expanding knowledge about food and nutrition. We accomplish our mission through a variety of programs, including the MobileFarmers’ Market; VeggieRx; Collective Roots Gardening; and the East Palo Alto CommunityFarmers’ Market.
2019 will be the 6th year we’ve operated our mobile farmers’ market. We serve communities of all ages, ethnicities, and income levels with 100% certified California grown produce, sourced entirely from small farms within 200 miles of the Bay Area. By partnering with local health clinics, businesses, city governments, churches, and community centers, we are able to deliver healthy, local food to the places people naturally gather, while honoring each community’s local culture.
Fresh Approach seeks a highly detail-oriented and organized individual with good public communication skills (English and Spanish) to provide program coordination for Fresh Approach’sfood access projects. The position is primarily responsible for supporting in-field operations forFresh Approach’s multiple program areas at sites throughout the South Bay. Primarily, the role will operate our food access projects two days a week (mobile farmers’ market and East Palo Alto Community Farmers’ Market). The coordinator will also conduct nutrition education classes at community sites around the South Bay. These classes are specifically tailored to low-income populations. The coordinator will also be trained across all Fresh Approach programs to support gardening education activities, outreach programs, and other duties as assigned.
This is a full time non-exempt position (between 30-40 hours per week) with benefits including paid sick time, paid vacation, health insurance, and 401k retirement matching.
- Act as Program Coordinator for mobile farmers’ market and traditional farmers’ market in East Palo Alto (approx 75% of time)
- Safely operate vehicle (22ft box truck) and drive between mobile farmers’ marketlocations.
- Accurately administer cash, credit, and EBT sales transactions to customers and complete end of day financial tracking.
- Administer matching discount program to provide free produce to low-income shoppers
- Learn and adhere to Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), including safety and quality protocols across all programs.
- Represent Fresh Approach well by providing friendly customer service.
- Engage customers about healthy eating, local food, and shopping on a budget.
- Complete daily cleaning procedure including wipe down of shelves, sweeping floor, organizing stock for next manager, and properly storing remaining produce.o Assist with training interns and volunteers.
- Act as a Nutrition Educator and support assistant across programs (approx 25% of time)o Adopt established nutrition curriculum for application in different settings and audiences
- Teach nutrition education classes in English and Spanish
- Administer pre-and post-surveys for program evaluation
- Develop and deliver messages to encourage better informed choices about nutrition and local food system
- Conduct outreach to recipients of publish benefits including CalFresh, MediCal, disability and WIC FMNP
- Support development of new projects and gardening programso Other duties as assigned
- Bilingual: A high proficiency in English and Spanish is required.
- Experience or interest in working with diverse populations.
- Preference to candidates living in the communities served.
- Exceptional interpersonal, retail, or customer service skills.
- Experience and comfort leading nutrition education classes to various age groups and/or facilitating large group discussions.
- Personally and professionally interested and excited about community health, local food systems, and California agriculture.
- Adept at Microsoft Excel and Word, Google Suites, and other technology software.
- Detail-oriented with ability to complete tasks in a timely manner and the ability to work independently.
- Willingness to show initiative and creativity.
To apply, please complete the easy web form listed under the position description onFresh Approach’s website (http://www.freshapproach.org/job-opportunities/). The form will collect standard application information and will require two distinct attachments:
A cover letter that highlights the experiences (both work-related and personal) which qualify you for this position.
A resume detailing previous work, volunteer, academic, and other experiences which qualify you for this position.
If you have any questions about the application process or the position, please reach out to Andy Ollove at 925-771-2990 or email@example.com.
Fresh Approach is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About the job
|Date||26 February 2019|