NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Federal Policy Associate
Young Farmers seeks a Federal Policy Associate based in Washington, D.C. to support our federal policy advocacy and outreach. We are looking for an organized and dedicated candidate to work as part of the federal policy team, leading the implementation of the newly-adopted Young Farmers federal policy setting process and independently managing several policy portfolios. Our ideal candidate will thoughtfully manage and organize complex events and processes; build relationships with Young Farmer members and with partner organizations in DC; and clearly represent Young Farmer interests as part of our advocacy work–all with a racial equity lens.
The National Young Farmers Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and veterans to apply.
Project and Program Management (55%)
- Oversee the federal policy setting process in order to develop an ambitious federal policy agenda with support from the Federal Policy Director, Co-Executive Directors, and Board.
- Support development and execution of federal policy strategy to advance Young Farmers priorities, including assistance with rulemaking, program implementation, and appropriations requests.
- Assist Federal Policy Director with the development of Young Farmers’ policy communications including press releases, blog posts, one-pagers, policy briefs, and presentations.
- Prioritize the needs of young farmers of color by proactively identifying gaps in new and existing Young Farmers federal policy priorities as well as federal legislation related to young farmers that negatively impacts and further marginalizes farmers of color.
- Plan for and engage farmer members in Young Farmers events and other opportunities to influence federal policy including fly-ins, congressional hearings, press conferences, convergence, and in-district meetings.
Stakeholder Engagement (40%)
- Establish and maintain relationships with legislative and executive branch staff and other governmental stakeholders.
- Maintain Young Farmer presence at Congressional hearings and external partner meetings
- Engage new partner organizations and coalitions, particularly POC-led, to support and advance their federal policy reform efforts and campaigns.
- Maintain internal tracking systems for political engagement and external partnerships as well as Young Farmers bill proposals, championships and partnerships.
- Assist Federal Policy Director and Development Director in maintaining current funder relationships, cultivating new funders interested in supporting federal policy work, and grant-writing/reporting on an as-needed basis.
The successful candidate will offer:
- Knowledge of agricultural issues, programs, and policies at the federal level
- Compelling skills as a speaker and writer, particularly with regards to making complex policy issues understandable for a general audience
- A demonstrated commitment to racial equity in the workplace and in advocacy work
- Ability to work in a self-directed manner
- A strategic and systematic approach
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Willingness to learn about new subjects and take initiative on leading new projects
- Outgoing demeanor and aptitude for working as part of a team
The ideal candidate may also:
- Have experience working on a farm
- Have experience working in a federal agency or legislator’s office
- Have experience working in the immigration/labor sphere
- Hold a relevant bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience in public policy, food or agriculture policy, agronomy, environmental science or policy, or other relevant subject
- $58,000-62,500 based on experience and location;
- Young Farmers offers a benefits package, including health and dental insurance.
How to Apply:
Send a cover letter and a one-page resume with any salary requirement to email@example.com by February 7, 2020 at 5PM ET. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Please put “FEDERAL POLICY ASSOCIATE” in the subject line. No calls, please.
About the job
|Date||14 January 2020|