NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Market Lead
Union Square Main Streets (USMS) is seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated candidate to act as Market Lead for the 2020 Union Square Farmers Market in Somerville, MA.
In this position, the Market Lead will have the opportunity to enhance his/her skills in event planning, market management, marketing, communications, and knowledge of programs aimed at increasing access to local foods. The Market Lead will be the onsite staff member handling all vendor relationships, SNAP/EBT transactions, and interactions with volunteers and market customers. The Market Lead will also coordinate electronic promotion for the market and support administrative tasks outside of market hours. The ideal candidate will have an interest in local agriculture, food and nutrition, bolstering community, and promoting farmers markets. S/he should be reliable, friendly, self-motivated, and comfortable communicating with a diverse customer base.
- Oversee market operations including market setup and breakdown. Required to be on-site and available to vendors, customers, volunteers from setup through breakdown
- Enforce market rules and policies to ensure public safety, vendor punctuality, proper parking, cleanliness of site, and vacation of market premises by a specific time
- Set up, break down, and staff the Market Lead Tent to display and distribute educational materials, collect consumer contact information, administer SNAP, and sell promotional merchandise
- Maintain positive vendor relationships
- Assist vendors, volunteers, and consumers by providing market-related information, conflict resolution, and general aid as appropriate
- Recruit and supervise volunteers
- Administer local token currency and process transactions for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)/EBT benefits including the maintenance of daily records and market reports
- Communicate effectively with customers to explain food access policies like SNAP & HIP
- Promote the market using social media networks, including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter; as well as a weekly electronic newsletter
- Create an inclusive atmosphere for vendors, performers,and customers alike
- Supervise and work with The Welcome Project’s LIPS interpreters to ensure a positive SNAP customer experience
- Additional administrative, logistical, and sales tasks as needed
- At least 2 years of experience with food retail and/or food-related organization work
- Previous experience working directly with farmers and/or small business owners
- Friendly, dynamic and positive energy
- Dependable, punctual and responsible, with a high level of professional integrity
- Resourceful and creative, with strong problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and through hands-on experience
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, including tending to market needs with care while handling competing priorities
- Organized management of time and effort and ability to document work
- Demonstrated ability and desire to meet new people, foster connections, build community relationships, and ability to talk with a wide range of individuals, including those occasionally disgruntled
- Ability to lift 50lbs
- CPR/First Aid certification preferred
- Ability to speak Spanish, Portuguese, or Mandarin a plus
- 7hrs/week every Saturday from May 16–November 21 from 6:45am–2:30pm
- 5 hrs/week with opportunity for flexible scheduling to support electronic promotion and administrative tasks
- The Farmers Market is open rain or shine from 9am-1pm
- Weekly check in with Market Manager
- Post-season supply organization and debrief within 2 weeks of market close
- Availability for training one day between May 4-13
Salary and How to Apply:
Compensation will be paid bi-weekly. This is an hourly position paying $15/hr and supervised by the Market Manager and approved by the Executive Director.
Email your cover letter or video of interest, resume and 3 references to Kait Stinchcomb at email@example.com with subject line “Market Lead Position” by April 8.
We can’t wait to meet you!
About the job
|Date||24 March 2020|