NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Compost Program Operations Assistant
For nearly 50 years, GrowNYC has been transforming communities throughout the five boroughs by giving New Yorkers the tools and resources they need to make our city cleaner, healthier, and moresustainable. Whether it’s operating the world-famous Union Square Greenmarket, building a new community garden, teaching young people about the environment, or increasing recycling rates through education, GrowNYC is hard at work in your neighborhood. GrowNYC is a privately-funded 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization.
GrowNYC’s Zero Waste Programs, funded by the NYC Department of Sanitation (DSNY), were created in 2006 to provide outreach and education on a wide range of waste prevention, reuse, and recycling initiatives. In 2011, the GrowNYC Compost Program began collecting food scraps for composting at several Greenmarkets, and has since expanded to operate 60 food scrap drop-off locations (FSDOs) throughout NYC, diverting 25 tons of food scraps from landfills each week.
The Compost Program Operations Assistant reports to the Compost Program Management Team and assists with logistical operations and administrative tasks of the GrowNYC Compost Program including:
- Assist Operations Manager with inventory, preparation, and distribution of requested supplies to food scrap drop-off sites.
- Check in with and provide support to Compost Coordinators and Drivers at FSDOs and along routes throughout NYC.
- Review weekly Compost Coordinator reports, ensure that forms are submitted on time, and respond to questions.
- Assist Management Team with data compilation, analysis, and reporting to DSNY and community partners.
- Collaborate with Compost Management Team to hire, onboard, train and provide continued education to Compost Coordinators & Drivers.
- Assist Operations Manager in maintaining up-to-date records of driver schedules, vehicle routes, driver itineraries, and delivery instructions.
- Assist Compost Management Team with planning and operations for special projects and events.
- Troubleshoot field operations as needed (in cases of emergency, weather related incidents, etc.).
- Cover shifts for Compost Coordinators and Drivers by staffing food scrap drop-off sites, driving collection routes, and delivering food scraps to community compost sites as needed.
Qualified candidates combine a passion for waste reduction and landfill diversion with the practical skills needed to collect and transport food scraps through NYC. Candidates should be highly motivated team-players with excellent communication skills and the ability to work well with diverse communities. Additional qualifications include:
- Experience organizing and working with communities to affect change.
- Extremely strong organization, planning, and time management skills, with ability to juggle multiple tasks, prioritize workload, and meet deadlines.
- Computer literate with strong analytical skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Documents.
- Works well both independently and as a member of a team.
- Willingness to work weekend and early morning hours throughout all five boroughs of NYC.
- Experience driving in NYC and knowledge of New York City streets and highways.
- Valid NYS Driver’s License required, with clean driving record and ability to operate 18-foot Transit Van and/or box trucks ranging from 12-24 feet.
- Ability to lift 50lbs.
- Second language skills strongly preferred.
Submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please write “Compost Assistant” in the subject line. Interviews will be on a rolling basis. For additional information, please visit GrowNYC.org/compost.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status or sexual orientation.
About the job
|Location||New York, New York|
|Date||27 April 2019|