NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Youth and Farm Stand Coordinator
About Community Farm Action:
New Settlement Apartments is a settlement house based in the Mt. Eden community of the Southwest Bronx, with a 30-year demonstrated commitment to increasing preparedness and access to safe and affordable housing, high-quality public and post-secondary education, expanding opportunities for healthy and active living, and fair employment. Grounded in its commitment to affordable housing and a thriving neighborhood, New Settlement Apartments collaborates with community residents and develops partnerships to create services and opportunities that celebrate the inherent dignity and potential of individuals and families.
Community Food Action takes a comprehensive and multidisciplinary approach to food justice in our neighborhood. We embed hands-on food education into local institutions, develop community leadership, and create opportunities to grow, purchase, eat and compost good food. We aim to model community-responsive solutions to inequities in the food system.
- Manage operations from July to November including on-time set up, merchandising, customer service and sales, and breakdown
- Weekly ordering and pricing of a wide variety of products, with special attention to affordability and preferences of customers
- Accurately complete and maintain paperwork and records of indicators and market revenue
- Maintain equipment and supplies necessary to efficient operations
- Supervise Youth Leaders, guiding them as they receive on-the-job training in customer service and merchandising and educating them about Farm Stand mission and products
- Coordinate and co-facilitate the Youth Leaders orientation
- Provide ongoing support and professional development through team meetings, trainings, and one on one’s
- Assist with updating manuals, policies and procedures
- Write and facilitate lesson plans that follow scope and sequence. Incorporate popular education, political education, and youth leadership
- Utilize positive behavior management techniques through managing timesheets, standards charts, and preparing and delivering constructive feedback, or “Real Talk”
- Support garden work days
- Plan and supervise events, field trips, and workshops, as needed. Collaborate with partners to execute activities
- Collect completed activity sheets, event debrief forms, and assessments
- Support evaluation of the 170 Farm Stand
- Coordinate evaluation of the Youth Leaders program
- Develop outreach and promotional materials
- Carry out outreach plan
- Train and oversee Youth Leaders in outreach
- Plan and facilitate presentations, workshops, and tabling
- Create content for website and social media
- Contribute to program timeline and work plan
- Manage own expenses and reimbursement
- Attend bi-weekly team meetings; facilitate periodically
- Actively participate in meetings on programmatic activities as well as program direction and development
- Experience working in or engaging with a low to moderate income community-based setting required
- One to three years’ experience working with high school aged youth in formal settings required
- Community engagement experience from, for example, facilitating workshops, surveying/canvassing individuals, or street outreach, is preferred
- Undergraduate coursework or degree in relevant field a plus
- Demonstrated expertise in positive youth development
- Bilingual English/Spanish speaker strongly preferred
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and ability to work well with a wide variety of individuals, including youth and seniors, especially in a public setting
- Committed to principals of racial, social, and economic justice.
- Knowledge of or enthusiasm about food issues as related to healthy living and restoring food sovereignty to communities strongly preferred; personal experience facing the negative aspects of the food system a plus.
- Understanding, enthusiasm about, and ability to communicate the benefits of seasonal eating for personal health, environmental justice, and society.
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational ability required.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, problem solve and be flexible
- Bronx or Upper Manhattan native or resident preferred
- Physical Requirements: The position requires working outdoors in all weather conditions, standing and walking for extended periods, and carrying heavy and bulky items
- Intermediate computer skills including Microsoft Office and web-based applications.
Please send a pdf of your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Youth & Farm Stand Coordinator Application: YOUR LAST NAME”
About the job
|Location||Bronx, New York|
|Date||28 April 2019|