NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Executive Director
About Berkeley Food Institute:
In consultation with the Faculty Director(s) of the Berkeley Food Institute (BFI), the Executive Director (ED) is charged with the development, administration, and management of an inter-departmental research Institute located on the UC Berkeley campus; The Berkeley Food Institute is an exciting program that connects seven academic units: College of Natural Resources, Graduate School of Journalism, Goldman School of Public Policy, School of Public Health, College of Environmental Design, Haas School of Business, and Berkeley Law. These academic units on the campus have partnered to create an interdisciplinary/cross-campus institute that conducts research and develops policy recommendations and public outreach campaigns designed to transform food systems to expand access to healthy, affordable food and promote sustainable and equitable food production. BFI empowers new leaders with the capacity to cultivate diverse, just, resilient, and healthy food systems. In addition to performing rigorous scientific research, BFI informs and engages the public in its effort to transform food systems. To achieve these goals, the Institute provides graduate and undergraduate courses and fellowships and conducts community-based research projects. Most importantly, the Institute communicates research outcomes and policy recommendations clearly and effectively to legislators and the public.
The Institute was established in 2012, with start-up funding from a small group of individual donors and foundations who are committed to the project long term. The Executive Director will continue to fundraise for and shape the direction of the Institute, in collaboration with a governing Executive Committee, made up of the Deans of the seven schools, and an Advisory Council composed of outside experts and donors.
- Cultivates major outreach and policy programming and ensures their execution once funded.
- Develops and executes strategic plan for financing program activities and ensuring ongoing sustainability of program.
- Coordinates varied and competing requirements associated with managing an innovative program in a university and/or government environment.
- Identifies and develops funding from multiple external sources.
- Plans, directs, and controls program budget and manages financial, human resources, technical, and other supporting resources.
- Assesses program’s effectiveness, and recommends changes to program’s content, policies, and strategic goals accordingly.
- Develops and maintains liaisons with external Advisory Council. Represents the program to governing boards, outside agencies, and the public.
- Leads professional conferences and provides public relations support. Presents seminars and workshops and participates with faculty on research.
- Develops research ideas and options for faculty review and decision, and develops and implements instruction and research programs that reflect faculty interests.
- Knowledge of food and agriculture issues, food policy, and economic, environmental, social, and cultural impacts of the food system.
- Expert ability to communicate and interact effectively with a broad constituency, including faculty, researchers, scientists, program/center managers, staff, students, funding agencies, community members, NGO and government agencies, individual donors, and media in a dynamic multicultural setting.
- Successful leadership experience in an academic institution and/or non-profit agency with budgetary responsibility of $500,000 – 1.5 million and expert knowledge of administrative, budgetary, human resources, and financial principles and practices, with oversight of a staff of eight or more.
- Demonstrated expertise to oversee multiple functions and the vision and agility to lead amidst significant change in the field and in revenue streams; ability to manage productive collaborations between multiple agencies; demonstrated ability to develop and implement innovative program and research agendas and engage the public.
- Expert fundraising experience, including identifying, cultivating and soliciting major gifts, producing events, and writing grants to foundations and government agencies.
- Experience developing effective external communications, PR and marketing strategies, including web, social media, and media relationships, and development of marketing/fundraising materials.
- Expertise developing internal communications, including coordinating and facilitating effective meetings, establishing communications protocols, and ensuring key stakeholders are well-informed of program development at all times.
- Professional demeanor, attention to detail, and the ability to act decisively.
- Technical proficiency – solid computer skills with knowledge of software programs (Microsoft Office – Word, PowerPoint, Excel). Ability to learn function-specific software.
- A minimum of eight years of senior-level management experience.
- Advanced degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Annual salary will be commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. To apply, visit https://jobs.berkeley.edu/ and search for job 26548.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
About the job
|Date||11 March 2019|