"As food system leaders, we are now faced with an unprecedented level of awareness and interest in our sector.
We have an opportunity to leverage networks like NAFSN to ensure those working on the ground are connected, educated, organized, stewarded, and prepared to work AND advocate for the needs of the local food system."
- Nikki Seibert Kelly, Growing Local South Carolina
above: featured speakers from NAFSN's popular "Finding Your Future in Food Systems" series
OUR SHARED VALUES
The core values uniting members of the North American Food Systems Network are community, collaboration, innovation, integrity, justice, equity, productivity, education, and resilience.
GUIDE OUR VISION
We envision a future in which food systems practitioners have the knowledge, resources, and support for effectively leading the development of resilient local and regional food systems; systems that both offer rewarding and economically-viable opportunities for producers, processors, and other players and provide healthful, safe, reliable, affordable, ecologically-sound, and culturally-appropriate food for all.
ADVANCE OUR MISSION
NAFSN is a professional association connecting people to opportunities and resources to promote resilient local and regional food systems in the advancement of equity and healthful food access for all.
Explore Our Framework
NAFSN follows a sociocratic-circle organizing method based on a simple & elegant set of principles:
- circular, not hierarchical;
- autonomous initiatives;
- inward and outward flows of information;
- integrated administration;
- decision-making by consent.
We strive to provide a solid foundation for effective, transparent, inclusive governance.
All members are welcome to attend virtual Leadership Circle Meetings, 1st Wednesday of each month at 12noon ET.
* Are you an established or retired food systems professional seeking to advance the profession itself?
* Are you a transitional professional seeking to apply skills you gained in another sector to the field of food systems development?
* Are you an emerging professional seeking networking support as you enter the first years of your food systems career?
* Are you a student seeking to start a professional chapter on your campus?
Fill out this form to learn more about NAFSN's leadership opportunities.