NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Wholesale Coordinator
About Poughkeepsie Farm Project:
Poughkeepsie Farm Project is a farm-based non-profit organization committed to cultivating a just and sustainable food system in the Mid- Hudson Valley. On our member-supported farm in the City of Poughkeepsie, we grow fresh vegetables and fruit for our CSA, provide hands-on educational programs, and improve access to healthy locally-grown food.
The Wholesale Coordinator works with the 5 other members of the farm crew, as well as with interns, members, volunteers, and youth participants to grow food for a 500 member CSA, for restaurant and institution sales, and for PFP’s Food Share program. In particular, the Wholesale Coordinator takes responsibility for creating and maintaining working relationships with buyers at local restaurants, produce distributors, and other organizations. This individual also coordinates with the farm crew to fill orders and regularly communicates availability information to buyers.
General Farm Duties:
- Work in collaboration with staff members to implement 2019 agricultural production plan consisting of growing, harvesting, and distributing over 200,000 lbs of vegetables, herbs, small fruit, and flowers using organic methods.
- Guide, supervise, and mentor interns, CSA members, and volunteers in various farming tasks.
- Perform various rotating farm duties, which include record keeping, maintenance, and coordinating CSA distribution.
- Serve as a representative of the Poughkeepsie Farm Project. Actively work toward the betterment of the organization.
Wholesome Program Coordination:
- Meet wholesale sales goals determined by the Farm Director and Board of Directors. To this end:
- Maintain current wholesale relationships and reach out to new customers as needed
- Regularly distribute availability information with produce descriptions and prices
- Communicate as needed by phone, email, and text with customers
- Maintain and improve consistent standards for ordering protocol and schedule, as well as for produce packaging and delivery
- Review and follow best practices to be consistent with PFP Food Safety Plan
- Communicate with Farm Director and Crew Leader to assess produce availability and to coordinate staff and support for wholesale
- Work with Office Manager on record-keeping protocol, payment delivery, and invoicing
- Attend weekly farm crew meetings and farm walks
- Work 45 hours/week in June, July, and August; 40 hours/week in remaining months
- Work outside of scheduled hours when needed (occasionally)
- Be a dynamic member of the farm crew and work towards advancing the mission of the larger organization
Education or Experience
- At least 2 full seasons on vegetable farms, preferably ones that use organic methods Experience leading work projects with others
- Marketing and/or produce buying experience is preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Desire and ability to share a passion for farming with members and visitors Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Good observation and critical thinking skills
- Basic computer skills
- Interest in tractor and equipment use and maintenance
- Strong interest in agriculture and in professional development
- Understanding of ergonomics and safe body mechanics
- Capacity to lift 50lbs
Submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 references to Leon Vehaba at email@example.com.
About the job
|Date||23 January 2019|
About the company
|Company name||Poughkeepsie Farm Project|
|Street||51 Vassar Farm Lane|