NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Food Sourcing Specialist
About Daily Table:
Daily Table is a nonprofit retail grocery operation with multiple locations in Boston with plans to expand in the metro area and to new geographies. Our mission is to bring affordable, delicious, healthy foods to communities struggling to eat better. We provide grab-n-go meals, fresh produce, groceries and other nutritious foods at a fraction of the prices found elsewhere. Founded by former Trader Joe’s President, Doug Rauch, Daily Table recovers excess, wholesome food from growers, manufacturers, and distributors, and blends that with special purchase arrangements with a number of food producers to provide truly affordable nutrition for all.
Daily Table is looking for a Food Sourcing Specialist who will be responsible for finding and managing new and existing suppliers who can provide unique buying opportunities and donations for our retail stores and commissary kitchen.
The Food Sourcing Specialist is an exciting and high-impact position within the organization and the right candidate will have an entrepreneurial mindset and be driven by the “thrill of the hunt.” This position is primarily vendor-facing but will also work closely with retail and kitchen management teams. This is not a sit in the office and buy from a list job. It is a hunter-gatherer, shake the bushes, turn over every rock and do whatever it takes to bring home value for our customers. This role will require creative thinking, hustle, persistence and great interpersonal skills to find wholesome food that we can offer at a great value.
- Acquire more great value product, including discounted short-code and donations
- Help to develop and implement the strategy of donations and opportunistic purchasing
- Identify key areas of growth and opportunity for Daily Table’s product offering
- Develop new supplier relationships to further Daily Table’s mission and financial performance
- Consistently bring in new, exciting products that align with Daily Table’s mission
- Track and evaluate performance of new vendors, products and programs
- Provide functional coordination to operational Procurement Teams, Kitchen and Retail
All viable candidates will be smart, creative, persistent and most importantly, excited about making healthy food affordable to all. The ideal candidates will have extensive food industry experience; preferred experience is in product purchasing for retail grocery operations.
- A strong commitment to the mission of Daily Table
- Understands the purchasing side of the business and can sell the mission of Daily Table to potential suppliers
- Extremely self-motivated; is always looking for the next opportunity and relationship
- Excellent interpersonal, networking and relationship-building skills
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Exceptional negotiation skills
- Attention to detail as well as the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Food Sourcing Specialist"
About the job
|Date||17 April 2019|