NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Food and Farming Program Manager
The Food & Farming Program Manager leads work related to the California Alliance of Farmers’ Markets (the Alliance) a statewide farmers’ market industry group, founded and led by the Ecology Center. The Alliance is dedicated to promoting the direct farmer-to-consumer relationship, supporting small independent farmers, increasing the integrity and securing the future of Certified Farmers’ Markets throughout California. The Program Manager also oversees projects and program efforts to advance CalFresh/SNAP access and healthy food incentives statewide and nationally in a farm-direct setting.
- With Program Director, develop work-plan, goals, and objectives for the Programs in accordance with the Ecology Center’s mission, goals, and strategic plan
- Collaborate with Alliance Steering Committee to develop Alliance work-plan, goals, and objectives
- Manage and execute work-plan, goals, and deliverables associated with the Program, and all associated grants, including overall project management, contractor procurement and management, data tracking, grant reporting, and other grant deliverables
- With Program Director and Finance Team, develop and manage program budget following organizational policies and procedures; Ensure timely preparation and submission of payroll and invoices
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate performance of Program staff; Develop a collaborative team in managing all aspects of the Program.
- Represent Ecology Center’s mission values and goals to the general public, as well as decision-makers, elected officials, and partners.
- In collaboration with Program Director, lead National Incentive Program Training & Technical Assistance project, including working with national partners to design and execute training curriculum for other farm-direct Incentive providers nationally; Provide overall project management.
- Lead Ecology Center data maintenance and website development for the Farmers’ Market Finder (FMFinder.org) tool
- Lead Market Match and Alliance marketing, outreach and promotions campaigns and media features, including working with content and media developers, media placement consultants, the Alliance Steering Committee, Alliance membership, and Ecology Center communications staff
- Work with Program Staff and Alliance Steering Committee to coordinate and execute statewide and regional farmers’ market manager trainings, in-person and via webinar. Work with curriculum developers and Alliance leadership to update Farmers’ Market Manager Manual as needed
- Oversee bi-monthly Alliance Steering Committee meeting logistics, creation of agendas, sending of materials and reminder emails; oversee coordination and track subcommittee progress and outcomes, and provide support to subcommittees as needed.
- Work with Program Staff and Steering Committee to grow Alliance membership and income, develop new membership benefits and outreach tactics, recruit and track prospective and new members, and staff outreach events as needed.
- Oversee the Alliance’s data collection initiatives including technical assistance to Alliance membership on data collection initiatives; data entry and maintenance in order to feed statewide database, fundraise, and report for grants
- Represent Ecology Center and California Alliance of Farmers’ Markets interests to legislators and staff, farmers, farmers’ market operators, and the general public.
- In collaboration with Ecology Center communications team, lead the Alliance communications efforts, including the production and distribution of the Program’s electronic newsletter, the Alliance website, the Farmers’ Market Finder website, the program’s Facebook page and other social networking tools. Field initial phone calls and emails regarding California Alliance of Farmers’ Markets, and direct parties to appropriate resource or individual
- Participate in the identification of and application to grants and other fundraising efforts to support the work of the Alliance and Ecology Center
- Observe safe operating practices and comply with organizational safety policies
- Maintain familiarity with, follow, and ensure staff compliance with all Ecology Center policies and procedures in the performance of daily duties
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required, or five years of related work experience
Two years of grant and/or project management experience
- At least one year of experience supervising staff and developing collaborative teams
- Demonstrated commitment to the Ecology Center mission and vision
- Proven ability to work independently and exercise good judgment in a variety of environments and situations
- Knowledge of farmers’ markets and California’s direct marketing programs
- Strong familiarity or experience with local, statewide and national healthy food access programs; federal nutrition programs such as CalFresh and the Women Infants and Children (WIC) Program
- General environmental, farming, or social justice knowledge and literacy to support Ecology Center’s environmental and social justice mission
- Proven ability to manage and supervise at least two staff and develop a collaborative team
- Proven ability to lead and facilitate a coalition, stakeholder group, or community of practice
- Proven ability for developing and maintaining collaborative relationships with clients and non-profit partners, government agencies, policy-makers, funders, other stakeholders, and members of the public
- Demonstrated success managing or coordinating government grants
Proven ability to successfully utilize traditional and social media marketing tools and strategies
- Proven ability to manage subcontractors and consultants to achieve high quality outcomes in a timely and effective manner
- Proven ability to provide technical assistance and/or and communicate effectively and courteously with a diverse audience
- Ability to process documents and data with accuracy and efficiency
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office-Word, Excel, group e-mail, GoogleDocs and social media sites; experience newsletter layout is a plus
- Ability to work independently to organize and perform assigned work on a daily and weekly basis
- Ability to work collaboratively and in a team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license
- Ability to travel up to 20% time
Compensation and Benefits:
Full-time, exempt position; starting pay range is $56,000 to $64,000, depending on qualifications. Please note that only internal candidates are eligible for the highest starting pay rate. This position is eligible for benefits which include fully paid employee medical, dental, optional vision plan, fully vested 401K plan, vacation/sick/holiday pay, Employee Assistance Program and EcoStore discount.
- Complete application found at www.ecologycenter.org/jobs/
- Send completed application, resume, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please add “FF Program Manager” in the e-mail subject line. Please note that all application materials must be submitted to be considered for an interview.
About the job
|Date||20 October 2019|