NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Operations Director
About Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association:
The Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association has just created a brand new senior level position to manage our operations. We're a thriving workplace with more than 40 staff spread throughout Maine, working to educate about and advocate for organic agriculture.
- Direct the planning, implementation, and ongoing operation and improvement of all administrative systems including but not limited to financial management, human resources, IT systems, benefits administration, annual evaluations, strategic planning, and staff training and development.
- Supervise administrative staff and contractors.
- Contribute to the overall strategic direction of the organization and translate goals into operational plans.
- Provide a strong day-to-day leadership presence for all staff
- Manage MOFGA’s overall budget, cash flow and finances.
- Manage contractors to ensure accurate bookkeeping and regular financial reporting.
- Develop and coordinate the budget process in coordination with the Executive Director and Board Treasurer.
- Lead annual tax filings and audits in coordination with accounting firm
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; create and update financial policies and procedure manual.
- Negotiate contracts with and manage all external partners including clients, third-party vendors, and consultants.
- Manage and maintain insurance policies.
- Coordinate financial logistics of the Common Ground Country Fair
- Work with contractors to manage payroll, employee on-boarding and off-boarding, compensation and benefits management.
- Maintain legal compliance with all state and municipal laws in regard to business registration, charitable registration, employment law, and workers' compensation.
- Manage human resource initiatives, including recruitment and promotions; update employee handbook; facilitate performance evaluation process; enhance professional development; review compensation and benefits.
- Develop and improve operational systems for staff efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ensure there is clarity and documentation of processes across systems.
- Make sure staff are trained on all systems.
- Plan for long range IT, communications, and digital technology.
- Carrying out all of the responsibilities listed above in accordance with the mission statement, goals, and philosophy of the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association and other duties as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned
- Understanding of nonprofit financial management, legal requirements and best practices
- Excellent attention to detail and follow-through
- Commitment to excellence and improving organizational systems
- People-centered approach to operations
- Experience with staff supervision
- Experience with managing contracts and contractors
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Understanding of IT systems, and tech savviness
- Strong project management skills -- able to map out a plan, proactively communicate with stakeholders, plan for mistakes, and debrief for lessons learned
- Understanding of issues related to organic agriculture in Maine
- Commitment to working well with staff, volunteers and the public
Compensation and Benefits:
Competitive salary dependent upon experience. MOFGA has an excellent benefits package with paid medical, dental and vision insurance and paid maternity/paternity leave. Employees have four weeks of annual vacation after first year, 12 sick days, three personal days, and 14 paid holidays annually.
About the job
|Date||26 December 2019|