NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: California Manager
The National Young Farmers Coalition (Young Farmers) seeks a California Manager to support our California program. We are looking for a candidate who is dedicated to strengthening young farmer leadership using a racial and gender equity lens and who can garner multi-stakeholder, multi-sector support for young farmer success. Our ideal candidate feels equally comfortable building close relationships with a diversity of farmers, developing advocacy curriculum, engaging partners and agricultural organizations, and briefing funders.
The National Young Farmers Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and veterans to apply.
Project and Program Management (40%)
- Work with California Director to design and conduct California Young Farmer Report 2020 publicity and fundraising campaign
- Assist California Director in managing Farmer Fellowship program
- Support California Policy Associate in developing, writing, and presenting California Young Farmer Policy Platform and conducting policy and advocacy trainings
Network & Coalition Building (25%)
- Build, manage, and participate in coalitions comprised of public, private, and non-governmental stakeholders in support of Young Farmers, particularly focusing on partnerships with organizations led by and serving farmers of color
- Connect farmer members to opportunities to influence California policy, programs, research, and food systems
- Support development of Young Farmers Chapters in California
Research & Communications (30%)
- Assist in conducting listening sessions and California Young Farmer Report updates
- Support California Policy Associate to produce Young Farmers policy communications including position statements and reports as well as policy briefs, one-pagers, bill summaries and presentations
- Stay abreast of current California farming issues and integrate them into the California program
- Serve as a spokesperson for the organization at events
Funder Management (5%)
- Engage and inform current and prospective funders on California program
- Assist California Director in cultivating new funders interested in supporting California program
The successful candidate will offer:
- Knowledge of California agricultural issues, programs, and policies; attained at least four years of experience in an agricultural service, research, or leadership position;
- At least two years non-profit experience supervising staff and managing programs;
- Experience crafting and implementing programs with accountability and social justice means;
- Expertise in conducting primary and secondary research through a social justice and inclusive lens;
- Record of developing strong, lasting interpersonal relationships and multi-sector partnerships and alliances, and working in coalition;
- A demonstrated commitment to racial equity in the workplace and in advocacy work;
- Compelling skills as a speaker and writer;
- Ability to work self-directed, but also be a strong team player;
- Be willing and able to work on a flexible schedule with frequent travel;
The ideal candidate may also:
- Be located in San Diego or the San Joaquin Valley
- Have experience working on a farm;
- Have experience in non-profit fundraising;
- Hold a relevant graduate degree or commensurate experience in law, community development, or policy.
Salary and Benefits:
- $58,000-73,000 based on experience and location;
- Young Farmers offers a benefits package, including health and dental insurance.
Send a cover letter and a one-page resume with any salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 27. Please put “CALIFORNIA MANAGER” in the subject line. No calls, please.
About the job
|Location||San Diego, CA|
|Date||14 January 2020|