Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: Senior Policy Associate
About Center for Science in the Public Interest:
The Center for Science in the Public Interest is the leading, independent authority on food and nutrition. Recognizing that consumers can only eat healthfully when healthy options are available, we work to improve the places where people buy and eat food. By building support for the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act, we improved school meals and by threatening litigation against the American Beverage Association, we removed full-sugar soda from schools. CSPI successfully led efforts to include menu labeling provisions in the Affordable Care Act, allowing consumers to choose fewer calories and incentivizing restaurants to add healthier menu items. Our leadership on food service guidelines is helping communities increase access to healthier food in public spaces like government agencies, hospitals, and correctional facilities.
The Senior Policy Associate advocates for improved food and nutrition policies with local, state, and federal policy makers; encourages food companies to improve their products and practices; and engages organizations, health professionals, academics, and concerned citizens in supporting food and nutrition policies. This work will engage and support historically under-resourced communities that experience health disparities and are disproportionately targeted by the marketing of unhealthy food and beverages. This position reports to the Advocacy Director, and is available either in CSPI’s Washington, DC office or remotely.
- Lead campaign to advocate for and encourage grocery stores and retailers to improve the retail environment.
- Co-lead a team of cross-organizational staff to develop and implement Healthy Retail campaigns, including organizing, communications, digital, scientific, legal, and other policy staff, and create synergies with CSPI’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and Foodbank teams.
- Encourage corporate strategies that improve the food retail environment for consumers across the nation.
- Identify research gaps and innovative healthy retail approaches that lead to sustainable and meaningful improvements to the food retail environment.
- Draft case studies and reports on groundbreaking initiatives and studies on healthy retail.
- Cultivate interest among researchers and retailers to conduct pilot programs in support of a healthy retail environment.
- Develop and maintain relationships with other organizations, coalitions, and funders.
- Contract with and manage consultants, including monitoring metrics and budgets and support the sub-grant process by reviewing proposals and providing advice and technical assistance.
- Represent CSPI as a spokesperson through presentations and trainings, at conferences, in coalitions, online, and with policymakers, CEOs, and the press.
- Help identify and secure funding for policy projects by working with the development department on grant applications and reports. Manage budgets and report on grants.
- Manage interns and other project staff where applicable.
- MS, MPH, JD, RDN, MBA or the equivalent, plus at least 7 years of professional policy/advocacy experience.
- Experience developing and implementing successful policy/advocacy campaigns and maintaining the partnerships necessary for advancing those campaigns.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and a proficiency or strong willingness to develop public speaking skills. Ability to produce high quality written materials.
- Strong research and analytical skills with the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- A strong commitment to fostering a positive, collaborative, and strategic organizational culture.
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion at the intersection of public health and social justice and ability to promote it throughout the work.
- Ability to build strong relationships with multiple stakeholders, including stakeholders representing communities of color, social justice, and public health.
- Excellent judgment and consistent professionalism, with the ability to take responsibility for multiple projects and deadlines.
- Intellectual agility and the ability to operate on deadlines and as part of a rigorous and fast-paced team.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Familiarity with social media and other web-based advocacy tools.
Wage, Timing, Additional Information:
The salary range is $75,000-$85,000, based on experience.
CSPI offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes: 3 weeks of annual vacation leave; additional paid holiday leave between December 24 and January 1; 8 weeks of paid parental leave; excellent medical and dental insurance with CSPI paying a significant portion of employee and dependent premiums; and a 3% employer match contribution to the retirement plan after one year of service.
To Apply: Senior Policy Associate
CSPI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package along with a healthy working environment. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspective, and skills and encourage people of diverse ages, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, disabilities, religions, races, ethnicities, socioeconomic statuses, work, and life experiences to apply.
About the job
|Date||29 November 2020|