NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Executive Director
Food Shift is seeking transformational leadership to help shape the future of Food Shift. The ideal candidate will be bold and creative, with deep cultural competency, and a passion for equity and justice. Food Shift’s Executive Director is responsible for the direction, management, and development of Food Shift’s team, programs, and impact. The Executive Director is both the internal leader of the organization as well as the driving force behind external relationships – using their skills and networks to establish and sustain partnerships in support of our goals. The Executive Director must be skilled at fundraising, thinking strategically, and team leadership. Food Shift is fiscally sponsored by Earth Island Institute and Food Shift’s Executive Director is the person responsible for project compliance with Earth Island policies and procedures, in addition to being responsible for the project’s consistent achievement of its mission, organizational obligations, and financial objectives.
Program Management and Innovation:
- Lead long- and short-term planning for the development of Food Shift core programs so they are cohesive and aligned with the overall mission of the organization.
- Facilitate regular meetings and strategic planning processes aimed at continual program evaluation and improvement to expand and deepen mission impact.
- Gather, analyze, and disseminate programmatic data and results on a regular basis to gauge program success and guide improvements.
- Promote regular opportunities for all staff to give feedback on program operations.
- In collaboration with appropriate team members, oversee the implementation of all program elements in a way that is consistent with operational goals.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
- Financial Management & Fundraising:
- Prepare, manage, and communicate organizational budgets and quarterly forecasts.
- Ensure monthly revenue targets are met.
- Prepare and finalize grant applications and final grant reports as needed to support program funding.
- Maintain and cultivate relationships with major donors and execute quarterly donor appeals and donor engagement events as needed.
- Team Management and Staff Development:
- Work with staff/volunteer teams to delegate, set goals, develop objective performance measurements, and ensure ongoing and high-quality implementation of programs.
- Support leadership and talent development by establishing annual goals and development plans, and providing regular and timely performance feedback
- Model the Food Shift values through personal behavior, leadership, and accountability.
- Responsible for the recruitment, orientation, and release of volunteers, staff, and board.
- Coordinate and supervise interns, consultants, and volunteers as needed.
- Develop and maintain a working advisory committee that supports organizational goals.
- Maintain a positive, healthy, safe work environment, creating a climate which attracts, retains, and motivates a diverse staff of top-quality people.
- Provide strong day-to-day leadership for staff and volunteers, ensuring that all practices and activities support the fulfillment of Food Shift’ mission and reflect our values.
- Community Partnerships:
- Build and maintain relationships with community partners essential to Food Shift’s capacity to fulfill its mission, and represent the organization at events and in the media.
- Keep Earth Island Institute abreast of organizational or human resources issues.
- Represent Food Shift in the broader community and facilitate relationship building and collaboration where it will strategically support fulfilling our mission and the long-term sustainability of the organization.
- Build and nurture a community of support by publicizing activities and opportunities to engage through the newsletter, social media, and events.
- Passionate and knowledgeable about Food Shift’s mission.
- Experience working with communities impacted by institutional racism, poverty, homelessness, and drug addiction.
- Significant professional achievement in a dynamic non-profit or social enterprise.
- At least 5 years’ experience developing and/or managing programs in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with a focus on client service.
- At least 5 years of management or supervisory experience required with a proven track-record at effectively developing staff.
- Experience raising funds and cultivating relationships with foundations, corporate sponsors, and major donors.
- High level of proven non-profit leadership and ability to manage complex tasks in a timely and professional manner.
- Demonstrated results with building relationships within the local community.
- Data-driven mindset, ability to read and create reports.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and work with diverse audiences.
- Ability to work collaboratively in an innovative and entrepreneurial work environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including non-violent communication.
- Ability and desire to be in a work environment that values working as a team, relationships, and giving and receiving honest feedback.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary: $75,000-85,000 DOE Benefits: Full health and dental, vacation & sick leave, 11 paid holidays, lunch provided Mon-Thurs Hours: 40 hours per week; work remotely Friday
To Apply: Please submit your application at firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “Executive Director”. Applications and interviews will be held on a rolling basis. The application should include:
- A resume, link to updated LinkedIn profile, and three professional references
- A cover letter that includes a short description of why you and Food Shift are made for each other and how you match the requirements of the role
About the job
|Date||09 September 2019|