NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Organizing and Advocacy Director
The National Young Farmers Coalition (Young Farmers) seeks an experienced grassroots organizer and movement builder to help shape the future of agriculture in the U.S. Since 2010 our organization has mobilized young farmer leaders and chapters, supporters, and partners to elevate young farmer issues to national importance, winning historic policy change to address key barriers of land access, student debt, credit and capital, training, and racial inequity. We are seeking an Organizing and Advocacy Director who can deliver on the ambitions of the next generation of farmers and ranchers to change policy for a bright and just future of agriculture. This person will report directly to our Co-Executive Directors to plan and implement winning campaigns, build long-term power, and advance our organization’s vision for bold transformation.
Program Management (30%)
- Lead the development and implementation of an organization-wide grassroots organizing strategy–working in close collaboration with our federal policy team, national chapter manager, and regional staff.
- Direct grassroots strategy for advancing our federal priorities, including in-districts, fly-ins, and Phone2Action campaigns.
- Collaborate closely with our communications team to build integrated campaigns, effectively utilize digital strategies and tools in all our organizing work.
Stakeholder Engagement (40%)
- Build and strengthen the Coalition’s base, by increasing the organizing and advocacy capacity of our network of 1,600 members, 25,000 email subscribers, 200k+ followers, and 45 Chapters across the country, using data and data tools to track progress.
- Expand our online and offline strategies across all channels to engage members, chapter leaders, and the public more effectively.
- Develop and nurture a national network of farmer leaders, who build transformative power grounded in equity and justice.
- Develop and enhance partnerships with organizations, especially POC-led organizations including in food justice, environmental justice, climate justice, and immigration justice, and other organizations who align with our values.
Staff Management (20%)
- Oversee National Chapter Manager in managing national chapter program, including hosting a successful National Leadership Convergence to engage and inspire the grassroots.
- Manage the Grassroots Coordinator to execute on digital advocacy, support Convergence planning, and manage the grassroots advocate database.
- Create a culture of organizing and implement a system for learning and training at the organizing for staff and constituents.
- Contribute to the organization’s fundraising and development efforts to grow advocacy capacity through membership growth, donor cultivation, and grant writing.
The successful candidate will offer:
- 4+ years of experience in community or union organizing, movement politics, or other related mission-oriented, grassroots powered advocacy work
- Experience and familiarity with the federal policy process
- Experience centering racial equity and justice in their work and building multi-racial coalitions
- Record of developing strong, lasting interpersonal relationships and multi-sector partnerships and alliances, and working in coalition
- Excellent writing skills, including strong proofreading and editing skills, with popular audiences in mind; experience writing compelling email actions
- Experience with CRM, SMS, online advocacy tools, and bulk email and texting systems
- Experience developing and executing digital engagement strategies across various platforms and experience using various social media aggregator and reporting tools
- Ability to work self-directed, but also be a strong team player
- Be willing and able to work on a flexible schedule with occasional travel
The ideal candidate may also have:
- Experience working on a farm or in food systems organizing
- Working fluency in Spanish
- Experience in non-profit fundraising
Compensation and Benefits:
- $60,500-$75,500 based on experience and location
- Young Farmers offers a competitive benefits package, including health and dental insurance as well as retirement plan.
How to Apply:
Send a cover letter and a one-page resume with any salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 31. Please put “ORGANIZING & ADVOCACY DIRECTOR” in the subject line. No calls, please.
About the job
|Date||14 January 2020|