NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Farmers Market Coordinator
We unleash the potential of communities to thrive, no matter the odds.
Since 1973, we've offered services designed to support every generation and meet the needs of communities. Our divisions encompass seniors, housing, education, health and empowerment.
Our unique model of holistic community revitalization works by developing neighborhood assets, like affordable housing, to create the foundation for a more vibrant and diverse community. We build upon this foundation with programs designed to connect people to resources to help everyone in the community thrive, especially our most vulnerable populations. This inclusive approach helps unleash the potential of the community and ensures that nobody is left behind in times of growth.
The Farmers Market Coordinator will implement RiseBoro’s network of Farmers Markets for our Bushwick Cooks Program. They will coordinate day-to-day aspects of the markets as well as administrative duties related to sales, advertising, outreach, presentations, cooking demonstrations, research, and vendor development.
RiseBoro Farmers Markets provide Bushwick area community residents with access to affordable produce directly from farmers and producers.
- Operation of market: Load and transport market inventory, set-up and breakdown of tents/tables, merchandise local goods, support vendors
- Management of social media account (Instagram)
- Training of youth and volunteers
- Record keeping and distribution of EBT tokens & Health Bucks
- End-of-market accounting and vendor data collection
- Non-market hours will be spent on market administration: inventory control, community outreach, and vendor development
- Together with the Bushwick Cooks Manager, organize and deliver promotional presentations & cooking demonstrations
- Additionally, Market Coordinator will connect farmers with relevant contacts at our regional aggregator partners
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Bilingual English/Spanish. Familiarity with Bushwick, Brooklyn preferred
- NYS driver’s license with clean driving record. Ability to drive a box truck. Commercial driver license highly desired
- Ability to lift 50-75 pounds
- Ability to stand for hours and work in all weather conditions
- Ability to work on weekends and early mornings
- Familiarity with cash, EBT/SNAP and credit card transactions
- Interest in food justice and community health
- Experience with record-keeping. Excel skills are a plus
- Positive attitude, entrepreneurial spirit and superior customer service (for market customers and vendors)
- NYC Food Protection Certificate or ServSafe certification a plus
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university strongly preferred
- High School Diploma required
Compensation and Benefits:
$40,000, annually, plus a generous benefits package.
Deadline is rolling until position is filled. We are looking to fill this position quickly. Submit resume and cover letter to Luciano Contreras, Bushwick Cooks Manager, Lcontreras@riseboro.org, subject should include, “Farmers Market Coordinator”
About the job
|Location||Brooklyn, New York|
|Date||16 April 2019|