NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
If you would like us to post a job opportunity, send details with links and contacts to: Duncan Hilchey
Job Detail: Agroforestry Specialist
About Caney Fork Farms:
Caney Fork Farms’ mission is to be an ecologically regenerative, socially integrated and financially profitable farm in middle Tennessee. The 400 acre farm is utilized to produce livestock, vegetables, and a variety of tree crops. All practices are aimed at producing nutritious food while simultaneously increasing the biodiversity and ecological health of the soil, water, & air.
The Agroforestry Department of the farm seeks to integrate carbon sequestering tree & perennial crops throughout the farm. The primary agroforestry enterprise is a 35 acre chestnut orchard, comprised of 1,500 trees, through which we hope to reintroduce chestnuts as a staple crop of the eastern US. We also manage 5 acres of apples, riparian elderberry plantings, and sporadic plantings of mulberries, raspberries, peaches, persimmons, and paw-paws.
Caney Fork Farms is seeking a full-time agroforestry specialist to assist the Agroforestry Manager in the care of orchards, conservation & wildlife plantings, perennials, and some vegetable work. This position will spend most of their time caring for trees: conducting pest and disease scouting, mowing, mulching, weeding, pruning, and spraying (all organic). Roughly one day a week will be spent caring for edible landscape plantings, and one day every week or two helping with large plantings and harvests with the vegetable crew. Monthly weekend livestock chores may also be expected.
Specific responsibilities and tasks may change throughout the season as the farm evolves.
Position Responsibilities and Qualifications:
- Keen observation, care, and concern for plants and animals
- Ability to work independently and manage time effectively
- Clear communication skills and ability to address issues in a respectful manner
- A large dose of curiosity and desire to learn more about regenerative farming practices and its potential to mitigate climate chang
- Moderate to advanced tractor, mechanical, and shop skills, much of this job will require tractor work so prior experience and training is desire
- Ability to work full days in all weather condition
- Ability to regularly lift 50lbs
- Periodic assistance with other aspects of the farm (livestock, compost, farm maintenance, etc.
- Minimum one year of previous experience in farming required
Minimum rate of $12/hr, more depending on experience. Employee housing is offered within a 10-minute drive of the farm.
Please send a cover letter, resume and 2 references to: email@example.com
About the job
|Date||17 April 2019|