Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: Communications Manager
About Center for Agricultural Development and Entrepreneurship:
The Center for Agricultural Development and Entrepreneurship (CADE) seeks a full time Communications Manager to support all aspects of the organization’s communications needs. This is a mid-level position responsible for enhancing the organization’s visibility, marketing needs, and communicating its vision and impact to the public.
CADE is a non-profit organization founded in 1991, whose mission is to increase the number and diversity of successful farm enterprises. Our goal is for farm and food businesses to compete and thrive, contributing to a sustainable regional food system and strong local economy. The position is based at CADE’s office in Oneonta, NY / Otsego County (www.cadefarms.org). Given that many communications responsibilities could be conducted remotely, CADE will consider remote applicants as long as a candidate can be physically present at the office 1-2 days a week on average.
1) Organizational Communications
- Oversee the development and implementation of a CADE communications/digital strategy that identifies communications goals and desired impacts, target audience/outlets, target reach, strategies and tactics, and plan for implementation
- Maintain and regularly update the organization’s communications assets and resources (including the website, social media handles, etc.) to serve existing and attract new clients, promote organizational successes, and support organizational positioning as a thought leader for agricultural development
- Curate content for and draft/edit/design/manage organizational collateral, including annual report, newsletters, brochures, website, videos, distance learning assets, etc.
- Maintain social media handles and develop new handles that reach target audiences, including Instagram, Facebook and Twitter
- Conduct press engagement and media outreach, draft press releases, create press tracking system, maintain press list, etc.
- Strengthen CADE branding, articulating the “story” of CADE through partner/client storytelling, articulating impact, uplifting thought leadership, using branding guidelines
- Maintain email management system (Mailchimp) and client/donor database (Salesforce)
- Integrate and synchronize CADE’s digital assets including the website, social media platforms, client management software, Survey Monkey software, online event calendars, etc.
- Work with development/fundraising team to support donor communications, including for year end fundraising campaigns, message training for fundraising event supporters, etc.
- Monitor and analyze CADE’s digital metrics and analytics to assess impact and develop online presence through CADE’s SEO via Google AdWords
- Liaise with communications related consultants, designers, developers, programmers, videographers, etc. as appropriate
- Manage crisis communications when appropriate
2) Program / Client Services Communications
- Implement communications plans for CADE’s programs in coordination with CADE program staff
- Provide direct communications and marketing support and related technical assistance to clients as determined in coordination with CADE program staff, including website and social media account development, marketing material design, social media strategy development, etc.
- Develop client surveys to solicit input on and strengthen CADE services, and “listen” to online/social media conversations (hashtags) among farmers, food businesses, buyers, and consumers to analyze trends, attitudes, needs to inform CADE’s services / assets
- 3-7 years professional experience in communications
- Outstanding (creative) writing, editing, and management skills
- Experience in or strong instincts for storytelling
- Experience in creating digital / social media content for Instagram, Facebook, Twitter
- Graphic design skills (Photoshop, InDesign, and/or Canva)
- Working knowledge of Squarespace or other content management systems, basic HTML, email management systems (MailChimp), and client database management (Salesforce)
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing, or related field a plus. Masters degree a plus.
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial, highly motivated, attentive to detail
- Able to work well independently as well as part of a team
- Excellent people and interpersonal skills
- Experience in agriculture or food systems a plus
Please submit a letter of interest, resume, and 2-3 innovative/creative writing samples (including at least 1 social media content sample) to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 30. When applying, please include Communications Manager Application in the subject line. If the applicant will prefer to work primarily remotely, a plan should be included in the letter of interest for how s/he will coordinate with the rest of the team to support the cross cutting work of the organization. No phone calls please. People of color, persons with disabilities, veterans, women, and LGBT applicants are encouraged to apply.
CADE is an equal opportunity employer committed to complying with all federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity laws. CADE prohibits discrimination against any employee and considers applications for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, military status, height and weight, religion, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest record, or any other legally protected status.
About the job
|Location||Oneonta, New York|
|Date||17 November 2020|